The Course Directory
[ click here for a Quick Start Guide to using the Directory ]
In this NILE Online course you will learn what kinds of activities help students to learn English well. There are eight units. In the first one you will get to know the course, the learning platform, your tutors and the other participants. In the next six units you will explore some factors we need to consider when choosing, using and adapting activities, such as interaction, motivation and classroom management.
We will also look at how to evaluate activities and adapt them or devise our own when necessary. Each of these units will also focus on activities related to a particular language area. Over the course you will build up a repertoire, or bank, of activities that you can use with your students and we will help you to organise and share this. In unit 8 you will prepare for your final assessed project, which will help you put everything you have learnt into practice.
This course will cover the following areas:
- Exploring what makes good activities
- Identifying aims for some activities
- Thinking about the importance of interaction
- Thinking about what motivates people generally
- Thinking about what the teacher should do before, during and after an activity
- Listening to some experienced teachers talking about how they built their repertoire of activities
- Choosing some evaluation criteria for activities for your class
- Submitting a project plan for your tutor for feedback
This course will extend the participant’s understanding and critical awareness of:
- How to discover a range of activities for recycling vocabulary
- Solutions to some common challenges in speaking classes
- How we can help students interact more in speaking activities
- Some reasons why students may not want to write
- How to plan the stages and instructions for a warmer, filler or booster
- Some online tools for storing, organising and sharing activities
- How to devise and share a short reading or listening activity
- How to evaluate some receptive skills activities
At NILE we are committed to offering the best in language teacher training. As such, we provide tutorial contact in our online courses as well as in our campus courses. Online participants will receive allocated tutor interaction and feedback in each unit they take.
Online courses are broken down into individual units and activities, forming a clear structure. Tasks will be interactive, involving voice chat, forums and community walls, and they will utilize a range of multimedia including images, audio files and videos.