The Course Directory
[ click here for a Quick Start Guide to using the Directory ]
The International House Teacher Training Certificate course is designed for experienced teachers who are interested in moving into the field of teacher training. It is not intended to replace the existing observation and training up process that is in place for many courses, but to provide some of the theoretical background and frameworks. Where possible, it is not course-specific but designed to enable trainers to work on any number of pre-service and inservice teacher training courses. In some cases, however, more reference will be made to the CELTA / IHCTL-type of course. Given the observation and feedback roles of many middle management teaching jobs, the course is also suitable for a teacher who is working in an inhouse teacher development context.
To give Course Participants (CPs) a basic grasp of the main issues and techniques involved in teacher training so they are better prepared to observe an initial teacher training course or assist on an in-service teacher development course.
To help a more senior teacher develop in their in-house Teacher Development role.
This is a 12-module course, delivered asynchronously entirely online via our VLE (Virtual Learning Environment) site. It is expected that a candidate will spend 7 to 10 hours per week studying. Covering one-module a week the course is 14 weeks long, followed by a two week period for the final reflective task to be submitted. The course is made up of input, discussion and research type tasks. The modules cover:
- An introduction to teacher training and development
- The skills of a teacher trainer
- Understanding a trainee and the environment training is taking place
- Reading your audience and managing difficulties
- Developing training sessions
- Support in the (trainee) teacher
- Developing a teacher development programme
- Organising an in-house observations
- Managing feedback
- The assessment process
- Technology in the training world
- An introduction to reflective practice
Mode of assessment
- 8 portfolio tasks
- Final assignment
Your portfolio is submitted to the IHWO Assessment Unit who agree the final grades with the course tutors.
We expect you are:
- DELTA-qualified teachers who are planning a move into teacher training.
- Experienced teachers without DELTA who wish to run in-service courses in your own context.
- Academic Managers who wish to develop your in-house Teacher Development role.
The course is run online and requires regular/daily access to the internet with a good connection.
The course is run by qualified online tutors who have substantial teacher training experience.
This course is designed to be completed on the basis of approximately 1-2 hours per day. However, you are under no obligation to visit the course as frequently as this and you may prefer to do more work at weekends rather than on a daily basis. However, please note, some of the tasks require group work and have deadlines.