The Course Directory
[ click here for a Quick Start Guide to using the Directory ]
Welcome to NILE’s MA in Professional Development for Language Education
NILE’S MA in Professional Development for Language Education (MAPDLE), validated by the University of Chichester, is a flexibly delivered, modular postgraduate programme for professionals involved in ELT, or in other sectors of language education, who wish to develop their specialist skills and build a top-flight career.
It is a comprehensive Master’s programme, providing in-depth and state-of-the-art coverage of the key areas of language education, whilst also providing an extensive choice of specialist elective modules to help you develop within your own particular areas of interest.
MA Elective Module - Technology Assisted Language Learning (MATALL)
This module carries 30 credits
This module develops participants’ awareness of the various uses of technology in language education. It will include practical applications as well as theoretical perspectives and will offer opportunities for hands-on practical experience.
Upon completion, participants will be more aware of the principles underlying practice in language education, having explored ways of applying these principles to their own professional contexts. They will also have acquired basic knowledge of educational research methods in general and action research in particular.
This course will cover some or all of the following aspects:
- history of educational technologies in the language classroom; advantages and disadvantages of ICT in education; challenges and alternatives
- Core Internet skills and literacies: search, evaluation and tagging; strategic integration in the classroom and the curriculum
- The use of Web 2.0 tools for creating teaching resources that encourage creative language practice and production; multimedia
- The use of corpora and text analysis software for both research and classroom applications
- The impact of technology on methodology and the long-term and short-term implications for teachers and learners
- The use of learning management systems (especially Moodle) primarily for blended learning situations; syllabus and course design
- The use of mobile and handheld learning in and out of the class
- The use of technologies for teacher development and CPD
This course will extend the participant’s understanding and critical awareness of:
- The essentials of Web 2.0 and the significance of cloud computing
- The possibilities and challenges offered by digital technologies in language education both now and in the foreseeable future
- How ICT in ELT is compatible with current learning theories
- How to evaluate choices available in the use of ICT in language education
- How to use technology in a learning/teaching environment
- How to use the Internet for such purposes as research, professional development, and administrative purposes
- How to use the Internet for creating learning opportunities for students in collaborative situations, for creative work, for developing learner autonomy
At NILE we are committed to offering the best in language teacher training. As such, we provide tutorial contact in our online courses as well as in our campus courses. Online participants will receive allocated tutor interaction and feedback in each unit they take.
Online courses are broken down into individual units and activities, forming a clear structure. Tasks will be interactive, involving voice chat, forums and community walls, and they will utilize a range of multimedia including images, audio files and videos.
The course runs over ten weeks and involves approximately five hours' study per week, a small percentage of which will be synchronous online interaction at set times. After this course, you will have six months to complete the module assignments.