The Course Directory
[ click here for a Quick Start Guide to using the Directory ]
Welcome to NILE’s MA in Professional Development for Language Education
NILE’S MA in Professional Development for Language Education (MAPDLE), validated by the University of Chichester, is a flexibly delivered, modular postgraduate programme for professionals involved in ELT, or in other sectors of language education, who wish to develop their specialist skills and build a top-flight career.
It is a comprehensive Master’s programme, providing in-depth and state-of-the-art coverage of the key areas of language education, whilst also providing an extensive choice of specialist elective modules to help you develop within your own particular areas of interest.
MA Elective Module - Trainer Development (MATD)
This module carries 30 credits.
This module will familiarise you with the skills and qualities needed by teacher trainers and teacher educators and raise your awareness of different models and practices in the area of Continuing Professional Development.
You will evaluate and design your own materials as well as a short, in-service training course for a specific context, and look at issues in managing INSETT.The different requirements of pre- and in-service training courses will be examined as well as good practice in classroom observation, supervision and mentoring.
This course will cover some or all of the following aspects:
- Approaches and methods in teacher training and education
- Facilitation in training
- A review of commonly available training materials
- Designing training materials
- Needs analysis for INSETT
- The importance of context in training: monolingual or multilingual
- Classroom action research
- Advising and supporting teachers
- Models of observation and supervision
- Teachers’ professional life cycles and Continuing Professional Development
- Teacher training course design and management
- Evaluation in training contexts
This course will extend the participants' understanding and critical awareness of:
- The skills and qualities needed by teacher trainers and teacher educators
- How to evaluate a selection of published training materials
- The different requirements of pre-service and in-service training courses
- Good practice and a range of models in the areas of classroom observation & supervision and in mentoring
- Ways of setting up action research as a tool for investigating classroom practice
- How to design and try out training materials for a specific context
- How to design a short in-service training course for a specific context
- Issues in managing INSETT: staffing, resources, etc.
- Different models and practices in the area of Continuing Professional Development for language teachers
A portfolio (50%) containing TWO of the following three options:
- A criterion-referenced evaluation of a piece of published training material in relation to a specified context
- A piece of self-produced training material for use on an INSETT course in a specific context, accompanied by a rationale and post-use evaluation
- A reflective report on a classroom observation and follow-up supervision session in either a PRESETT or an INSETT context
A fully worked out design for a short In-Service Course for a specific context, including a rationale, a means of evaluation and a full statement of staffing and resource provision (50%).