The Course Directory
[ click here for a Quick Start Guide to using the Directory ]
Welcome to NILE’s MA in Professional Development for Language Education
NILE’S MA in Professional Development for Language Education (MAPDLE), validated by the University of Chichester, is a flexibly delivered, modular postgraduate programme for professionals involved in ELT, or in other sectors of language education, who wish to develop their specialist skills and build a top-flight career.
It is a comprehensive Master’s programme, providing in-depth and state-of-the-art coverage of the key areas of language education, whilst also providing an extensive choice of specialist elective modules to help you develop within your own particular areas of interest.
Developing Learner Autonomy (MADLA)
This module carries 30 credits
Participants can begin this module at any time. This module offers participants a wide-ranging view of the philosophical and theoretical roots of autonomous learning, including its various applications in language education.
Upon completion, participants will be more aware of the principles underlying practice in language education, having explored ways of applying these principles to their own professional contexts.
This course will cover some or all of the following aspects:
- A review of theories of language acquisition
- Theories and principles of autonomous learning
- Materials evaluation for independent learning
- Materials adaptation for independent learning
- Writing materials for independent learning
- The role of feedback in autonomous learning
- Autonomous learning media and online options
This course will extend the participant’s understanding and critical awareness of:
- The theories and principles of autonomous learning
- The procedural options for helping learners to become effective autonomous learners
- How to critically evaluate a range of commercially available materials for autonomous learning
- How to design and provide a principled rationale for effective materials for autonomous learning
- How to design appropriate materials for different autonomous learning contexts
At NILE we are committed to offering the best in language teacher training. As such, we provide tutorial contact in our online courses as well as in our campus courses. Online participants will receive allocated tutor interaction and feedback in each unit they take.
Start date by arrangement, with distance supervision and tasks from your tutor. Completion date will be approximately 36 weeks after the start date.