The Course Directory
[ click here for a Quick Start Guide to using the Directory ]
In this NILE Online course you will examine some principles and practice of Teaching English to Young Learners. You will evaluate and create materials suitable for young learners ages 6 to 11. The practical nature of this course will rely heavily on designing communicative materials to teach language skills, developing effective classroom management skills, and exploring art, drama, music, children´s books and other authentic materials.
You will also investigate some CLIL components suitable for the developmental stages of young learners, as well as digital resources that can be used in high-tech, low-tech and no-tech learning environments. Additionally, you will focus on ways to introduce critical thinking and creative activities to teach different language aspects such as vocabulary, structures and functions.
This course will cover some or all of the following aspects:
- Personal language development
- Insights into cultural and intercultural issues
- Classroom language
- A range of approaches for teaching English to young learners and how such approaches may be realised in the classroom
- Evaluation of materials for teaching English to young learners
- Design and creation of teacher-made materials
- Curricular subjects taught through the medium of English
This course will extend the participant’s understanding and critical awareness of:
- The principles and practice of teaching English to young learners
- Developing critical thinking and cooperative skills
- Digital resources for low-tech, no-tech and high-tech learning environments
At NILE we are committed to offering the best in language teacher training. As such, we provide tutorial contact in our online courses as well as in our campus courses. Online participants will receive allocated tutor interaction and feedback in each unit they take.
Online courses are broken down into individual units and activities, forming a clear structure. Tasks will be interactive, involving voice chat, forums and community walls, and they will utilize a range of multimedia including images, audio files and videos.